Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gobal Glider Overhaul

The latest transformation comes in the form of a mass produced glider chair and foot stool. It has a simple wood frame with a tan cushion. It's practically new, very low impact use. The kids are no longer babies, so mom wanted it transformed into an adult chair.


The client wanted a global flare, lots of color and texture. We rummaged through my pile of fabrics and here is what she picked: the jumping off point.

Raspberry Giraffe Print, Recycled Burlap Cocoa Bag, Suzani Style Linen and Teal Latex Paint!!!! 
The fabrics were exciting, bright and inspiring.  The first thing that needed a transformation was the wood frame.  I gently sanded the frame and primed it with a white water based kilz.  From there I brushed a teal coat on top.  The application was not uniform, it did not coat completely but it didn't need to because I was distressing it!!!!  The next day after the paint had dried I sanded it with a 60 grit sand paper.  In some spots I rubbed more paint to mimic wear. The more raw wood I exposed the more I really liked the treatment.  I did finish with a coat of clear furniture wax just to seal in the exposed wood areas.  




It was then onto the cushion covers.  The foot stool was covered in a raspberry giraffe print and the welting came from the recycled burlap cocoa bags.  The chair cushion was mixed with fabrics on all sides.  More recycled burlap on the back and arms.  I tried to have as much of the cool block writing exposed as I could.  The welting was made from the green teal fabric, which was the 5th fabric utilized. The client was amazed at the transformation, pretty dramatic!!!





2 comments:

  1. What specific KILZ primer did you use on this chair? KILZ Premium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kilz 2 Latex Primer. I've used it on trim, ceilings and furniture, I like the product.

    ReplyDelete